Sunday, September 9, 2012

Granny's Refrigerator "Pickles"

Growing up, my granny almost always had a gallon jar full of cucumbers and onion slices in vinegar water. When the jar contents got low, she simply added more cucs, but very rarely actually completely emptied the liquid and started over. 

These things never really even had a name, but we ate them with just about every meal, and there really wasn't a "recipe" for it either. I made some last summer, and it took me back to childhood, and yesterday when I picked 5 rather large cucumbers out of my garden, I immediately knew what I was going to do with them. Granny's recipe was simply water, white vinegar, table salt and black pepper, cucumbers, and onions. Today, I added a little more to it. 

Ingredients:
1 : 2 ratio of White vinegar to water. If you like a stronger vinegar flavor, add more vinegar. If you like a weaker taste, add more water. 
enough cucumbers to fill your jar. Use glass jar with a metal lid if possible. The vinegar soaks into the plastic lid.
onion (depends on your preference. I use one small-medium sized white one this time)
Seasonings to taste. Salt, Pepper, Dill, Garlic, Red Pepper, etc. 

Directions:
Peel and slice your cucumbers. Today, I used six medium sized cucumbers. You can start with one to see if you like the recipe, or a dozen. It really just depends on the size of your container. 
Slice your onion into rings. 
layer the cucumbers and onions in your container until you're either out of cucumbers or your jar is full. 
Add the seasonings. I added a couple of crushed clovers of garlic and some dill (left over from canning real pickles last week) to the layers and then added the sea salt, black and red peppers to the top layer of the cucumbers. 
Add the vinegar and water a little at a time. i.e. 1/2 cup of vinegar and a cup of water until the cucs are covered in liquid.
tighten the lid and gently swish the jar around.
Refrigerate. 
You can eat these the same day if you're impatient, but if you let them set at least a couple days, they'll be better. You can adjust your flavor after tasting them to better fit your tastes, and when you eat the last cucumbers, simply add more to the already prepared liquid.
I don't let them sit longer than about 6 weeks. the longer they soak in the vinegar, the soggier the cucumbers get, and I like them still a little crunchy. 
Enjoy ! and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment