Monday, July 16, 2012

Bread!

Considering that it's the middle of July in West Texas, waking up today to lower 70 degree temperatures and cloudy, overcast skies, was quite a nice surprise, and it didn't take me long to decide I wanted to spend the cool morning baking bread!!
Don't get me wrong I love pinterest recipes, actually I have a whole board dedicated to bread, and I also use AllRecipes quite a bit, but there's just something about an old cookbook every once in a while. My husband tells me I need a cookbook intervention... I loooove old cookbooks! I've inherited quite a few, but also am always on the look out for them at estate sales. The more used, the better, because in my opinion, those are the ones with the best recipes.

So, this morning, when it came to looking for bread recipes, I didn't turn on the computer, but instead, sat down at the kitchen table with a stack of old books and a cup of coffee. It took a few minutes to narrow something down, but I stumbled across a couple recipes that fit my pantry and refrigerator ingredients today. 
Both recipes are from local books, and both books are over 40 years old. And I don't care who you are or what denomination of religion you practice, Methodist Women's Cookbook always have the best recipes in them!!!
Recipe #1: Grape Nut Bread (pictured right)
Recipe #2: High Protein Honey Wheat

The recipes both claim that you're supposed to wait till the loaves have completely cooled before slicing them... Maybe you'll have more self-control than I did!

As with all breads, you should turn both these recipes out on a cooling rack as soon as you pull them from the oven! Otherwise, the crusts will turn soggy.


No comments:

Post a Comment