Saturday, June 30, 2012

Patriotic Rag Wreath





Well, hello out there blogging world! I'm glad you stopped by!


For a couple months now, I've been pondering creating a new "hobby" blog. Because I've already got an established Wives' Tales & Fairy Tales blog site, the decision's been quite ongoing... I mean, can I really keep up with two blogs? and for that matter, Do I want two blogs?!
When I posted this Independence Day rag wreath on Facebook, I had several people ask if I'd "pinned it" and my mind was made up for me! This will now be the home of all things "Erin's Hobbies". Whether it's cookies, crafts, gardens, or just life, this will be my new go-to!
So, let's get started!
Patriotic Rag Wreath:
Materials:
  • 14" 4 ring metal wreath form. I found mine in the cemetery floral department of Micheal's (aisle 10!)
  • 3 yards of fabric (I used 6 colors, 1/2 yard each) Cut into aprox. 1"x6" strips (If you've got a cutting mat & rolling cutter, I suggest you use it for this project! That could turn into a lot of cutting with just a pair of scissors!!)
  • Ribbon (optional) for hanging.
  • Patience! Lots and lots of patience! & even more DVR'ed television to catch up on!!
 Instructions:
  • I cut all my fabric strips first. This took up almost the entirety of the first evening. I poured a glass of wine, turned on the tv, and sat down on the couch with my rotary cutter and cutting mat, and cut. and cut. and cut.
  • Next, Start tying. I worked by sections from the inside out. 
    • You definitely don't have to do all 4 rings, but I liked the really full look. 
  • My OCD took over here. I laid my fabric out in two rows: solid, pattern, solid, pattern, solid pattern, and tied them in order. I don't know that this is really necessary, but I'm much happier knowing that there's basically an even number of each color.
  • Keep tying. You'll get finished eventually!
When you're finished, simply turn it over and string the ribbon through one of the vertical support bars and tie a bow, or a knot, or just skip the ribbon all together and hook the wreath form itself to the door. 









No comments:

Post a Comment